After the epoch of the mysterious Mound Builders and their successors, the Indians, the French were the first occupants of the country where Crawford County is now outlined on the map.
At the session of the legislature of the Illinois Territory in 1816, Crawford County was organized from what had previously constituted part of Edwards County and was the eleventh organized in the territory.
She is supposed to have derived her name from General W.H. Crawford, a revolutionary soldier, a U.S. Senator from Georgia and Minister to France.
The records show the first conveyance of real estate in this county was from John Dunlap to Samuel Harris; the deed bearing date was December 10, 1816, however, there was considerable settlement here several years before this time.